Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

For Christina Taylor Green

I am often asked, "what is your favorite image in the book...what sound do you miss the most?" Until last night, I never had an answer. I would tell people, I love them all, how can I pick?

Now, I know. It is the sound of sheer joy. Children laughing, playing. Surely, of all the sounds, nothing is more precious than the sound of a child discovering his world.

Our role as parents, as aunts and uncles or simply if you love a child, our role is to watch, guide and protect. Is there anything more wonderful than the curiosity, the wide eyed wonder of my daughter and her friends? Even at 15, she still amazes me as new experiences unfold day after day. And through it all, I watch, I guide, I protect.

So, this beautiful girl Christina, who had her life taken from those who love her, how do we make sense of this? For me, it isn't a political discussion, it isn't about the guns or mentally unstable. It is about loss. This time, even though I do not know her, I have been crying for days. I know I am not alone. It makes me realize that my ability to protect has limitations. Life is so fragile, for all of us.

I believe that our children, they represent all that is good in this world. They remind us of living in the moment and all the possibilities of the future. So, dear, beautiful Christina, you have become one of ours and we will mourn you like we knew you. We will pray for your family and for time to heal broken hearts.

I know that I will do what President Obama suggested. I will be a kinder and better person. I will thank God often for Gracie, this incredible miracle that sleeps down the hall from me each night.

When the President referred to "jumping in puddles" in his speech last night, then I knew...the best image, the best sound, is the one that shows the spirit and joy of our children.

God Bless You Christina.

Image Copyright William Huber, 100 sounds to see

I made a donation to the Community Foundation for Southern Arizona in Christina's name. Here is the link: www.cfsoaz.org

2 comments:

  1. Your comments remind me of a Clint Black song, "Like the Rain" Here are a few words from it that reflect your sentiment, celebrating the joy of splashing...

    I never liked the rain until I walked through it with you

    Every thunder cloud that came was one more I might not get through

    On the darkest day there's always light and now I see it too

    But I never liked the rain until I walked through it with you

    I hear it falling in the night and filling up my mind

    All the heaven's rivers come to light I see it all unwind

    I hear it talking through the trees and on the window pane

    When I hear it I just can't believe I never liked the rain

    Bill Paetzold

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill,
    That is just wonderful. I'm going to keep that forever.

    ReplyDelete