Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

I would like to tell you about Mr. and Mrs. Hallberg. Even though I am an adult, with a family of my own, they will always be Mr. and Mrs. I wish there was a better title that would give them more importance.

I love the Hallberg family so much. But today, in this post, it is all about Mr. Hallberg.

Where do I start? Perhaps this will explain my relationship the most. He sat next to me the night we buried my Dad and made me feel safe. He was my father's best friend.

Through the years, I have sat at more family dinners with the Hallbergs than I can count. From the time I was a little girl, it was my second home. We didn't have relatives that lived near, the Hallbergs were our extended family.

Mr. Hallberg is blessed with a beautiful singing voice, a vibrant personality and a spirit that pulls all of us together. His conversation is so interesting, so dynamic. He has a laugh that booms and a smile that warms my heart.

In recent years, he was a bit more subdued. I should have known what was happening. But, I just accepted this change, I loved him no matter what. He wasn't participating in the conversation like he used to, still engaged and interested, but didn't say very much.

Recently, I went to visit the Hallbergs and much of the family was there, too. What a great time we were having as we all sat in the living room. Mr. Hallberg was sitting next to me and pointed to both ears. "Look what I have", he said. Inside his ears were two small hearing aids.

He went on to say "I can hear! I can hear conversations, I can hear the TV, the sounds outside. I was missing so much, I had no idea how much, until I could hear again." My Mr. Hallberg was back and it was all because he was no longer isolated by the lonely quiet that comes with the loss of hearing those you love.

If someone you love is fading a bit, don't blame it on age. Please encourage them to try hearing aids, seek help. Because life is not only about living, it is about listening.


Thanks to Granddaughter Lauren for the beautiful picture!

3 comments:

  1. Marsha,
    I saw your note on FB and went to your blog to read about your dear friend!!! How wonderful to have had such a loving relationship with such a sweet man (and family). I will be going to visit my father in a couple of weeks. He lives in Arkansas and If you don't mind, I'm going to copy your story and let him read it. I know he is having some hearing problems and maybe this will light a little fire under him so he doesn't miss out on some great conversations. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written and so true Marsha! We could never convince my grandfather to get hearing aids and he missed so much! If the option exisits, I would hope many share this with their loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara...
    Please share with him. I can't tell you how lonely it can get when you are at a family function and you can't follow conversation. After awhile, you just sort of give up and sit there and pretend you are listening. I hope he will try hearing aids. They let you do so for free, no cost, no obligation. Be sure and have an audiologist fit him. I hope he "listens" to you.

    ReplyDelete